Friday, October 10, 2014

Epik Orientation September 2014

I couldn't find the photo of the building I took so thanks to google! 
I had Epik orientation in Seoul at Sungkyunkwan University for 6 day and 5 nights. It was kinda dreadful...TT There was a curfew at 12pm and the majority of us felt like we were in a prison. I understood why they had to set a curfew as I use to work as an resident assistant in college....tell me about crazy timess....Even though, I have been in South Korea for a couple of months. I was required to go to the Epik orientation. The purpose of the training was to enhance our understanding of teaching English as a foreign language in Korea, including various teaching method, Korean culture and history. It also helped us understand our teaching environment in Korean public schools, how Korean school systems work and life in Korea. It helped us share our ideas and insights about teaching as a whole, which I thought was great for exchanging ideas. 

Before heading to the university I actually meet up with a friend that I meet in NYC. The one I mentioned about from the TEFL course. Ironically enough we were going to the same Epik orientation and we had a lot of catching up to do since we haven't seen each other for awhile. 

After arriving at the university, we checked in and was assigned our rooms and given our name tags which was used as a meal voucher. When I arrived, my roommate was already settled in but she was not in the room so I didn't meet her until we went to bed. We instantly talked about our experiences and unique characteristics that Korea has to offer. From that day, we ended up chatting a storm every night from how are day went..? to how our lives were back at home until almost 1 or 2am in the morning. We talked about the most random shit....but it was great knowing someone that I related too in South Korea. 

In the orientation, we separated in 2 large different groups and within that group, we were split into 1-A, 1-B, 2-A and 2-B. Group 1 consisted of newcomers that literally just flew in a few days ago or a couple of weeks ago. My roommate was in group 1 she literally flew in from Texas a couple days ago. I was in group 2 also including my friend that I meet in NYC. Within the small groups we were assigned a partner or put into three. From there we had to make up a lesson plan together with the topic assigned to us. I was assigned in the same group with my friend from NYC...yayy!!! and we had another guy from the UK...I think..somewhere around there..close enough... 

Throughout the entire week, it was lectures...lectures..., survival Korean,...lesson planning,..and for the newbies..medical check ups and meeting their POE/MOE. Meeting many other foreigners in the orientation, which was great meeting people around the world: South Africa, USA, Europe, UK, Australia...I think I am missing a country but you get the point...haha. One of my favorite class was Taekwondo...we learned the basics about Taekwondo and broke a thick wood board...I have proof..BAM!!!!

At the end of the orientation, we went to see Korean Miso. It was very interesting...something I would not normally watch..
To wrap it all up, I was sleep deprived and exhausted and wanted to sleep in my bed at my apartment. The beds that were at the school were really uncomfortable and they had roaches in the lounge... ewwww....and I'm not a bug person but if it is near me.....things are going down..hahah The orientation was very informative and gave me many more insights and ideas for my future teaching endeavors. I would have liked it, even better if I was able to attend an earlier Epik orientation...since I was already a couple of months in S. Korea some of the information was repetitive. But, if that would have happened, I wouldn't be able to meet all these wonderful people, that I meet in this Epik orientation.

Toodles until next time- xoxo-chuiee  

No comments:

Post a Comment