Friday, October 10, 2014

Opening my Bank Account NongHyup



PLACEHOLDER FOR PICTURE OF NH

The week that I was getting paid, one of my co-teachers finally decided to make a bank account for me... They didn't really ask for my preferences, for which bank I would like. That would have been better, but I didn't know any better at that time. My co-teacher was also rushing to make the bank account which I really didn't like at all. One of my pet peeves: being rushed when doing something important!!!
The card that I received was only a withdrawal card. I ended up going to the bank by myself the following to ask for a check card which is a debit card. The tellers were very helpful and with my broken Korean I was able to get my point across. It cost 1000 won for the card. 

Korean's check cards are basically debit cards. The teller told me to change my check card to a credit card. She explained for every 1000 Won I spend, I get a discount of 300 Won so I will only be spending 700 Won. I thought it was great and there I signed some papers that I could not read to get my new credit card. It arrived 2 weeks later in the mail.

After receiving my second paycheck, I went to the bank to transfer money from NH to Chase. The surcharges were a bit hefty from both banks. It costed me $100 bucks to transfer 2K back to the States. I was trying to find another alternative way and Citibank had great reviews for transferring money from Citibank Korea to Citibank America. 

But I came across a problem, I don't have a Citibank account in America. However, I talked to customer service and said I was able to open one while I'm in South Korea. I booked my ticket to Daegu, and that was the closest Citibank from where I lived. It took me an hour to located that darn Citibank in Daegu. I had assistances from another bank representative. I was out of luck because I left my passport in my apartment. Grrr... Now, I am waiting it off until I really need to send money home. Those darn sallie mae bills are creeping in next year.

xoxo-chuiee


No comments:

Post a Comment